(CNN) - With dozens of states reporting widespread flu activity , it's important to protect everyone around you if you yourself feel like you are getting sick. Here are some tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention :
• Use a tissue to cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
• Put that used tissue in the trash; don't leave it lying around
• If no tissue is available, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow
• Do not cough or sneeze into your hands
• Make sure you clean your hands after coughing or sneezing
• Use soap and warm water to wash your hands for 20 seconds
• Alcohol-based hand sanitizer can also help disinfect your hands
• Keep your distance from other people, avoiding close contact if you feel sick
• Stay home from work, school or doing errands
Here's something you might not have thought of: Your phone could have a lot of germs on it. And if you've just washed your hands and then start typing on your smart phone, you've just dirtied them again!
Dr. Geeta Nayyar, Chief Medical Information Officer at AT&T, recommends washing or disinfecting your phone -- safely, of course. Make sure you follow the instructions from your phone's manufacturer on how to properly clean the device, she said in an e-mail.
Copyright © 2013 CNN. All Rights Reserved
Virginia lawmakers and officials commented on the passing of Nelson Mandela Friday, December 5, 2013. Mandela was 95 years old.
The Chesapeake Police Department is seeking any information about these 10 wanted suspects. If you know anything, call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
Norfolk Fire & Rescue officials said a train went off its track Dec. 5, 2013 in the area of East Princess Anne and Ingleside roads.
HazMat crews have identified the material on a derailed train in Norfolk as cement. East Princess Anne and Ingleside roads have reopened to traffic.
A portion of Dominion Boulevard in Chesapeake is shut down until Friday morning as part of an emergency closure.
A horse that was reported missing in Elizabeth City has been found dead.
The Coast Guard transported two people off Hatteras Island early Thursday morning following the sudden closure of the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge Tuesday.