VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Five cats died during an accidental fire at a Virginia Beach home, according to fire officials.
Battalion Chief James Ramsey with the Virginia Beach Fire Department said the fire sparked at 1:30 a.m. in the 200 block of Stancil Street in the Princess Anne Plaza area. Firefighters were able to get the fire out about half an hour later.
Occupants were transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation. Ramsey said there were no working smoke detectors inside the home.
According to Ramsey, 13 cats were inside the home at the time of the fire. Five of those cats perished.
The fire has been ruled accidental due to unattended cooking. No firefighters were injured.
Fire officials are asking residents to check their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they are working.
Thousands of EMTs and paramedics checked their bank accounts Thursday for one last scheduled payment from the company that suddenly laid them off, but found nothing.
A Newport News man is charged for allegedly sexually assaulting a young girl.
Police say a 19-year-old was shot Thursday evening in Newport News.
Three separate crashes on Interstate 664 occurred at the same time Thursday morning, causing headaches for motorists.
A man who was able to elude capture for more than two decades was finally found in Norfolk.
North Carolina transportation officials say the Bonner Bridge on the Outer Banks could reopen next week if dredged sand placed around exposed pilings compacts well.
Newport News Police are still looking for a killer more than four years after a 17-year-old was shot dead.