NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - Norfolk firefighters battled a blaze at a house on Rogers Avenue Sunday morning after a fire started in a utility room.
Norfolk fire crews and Naval Base fire crews responded to the 300 block of Rogers Avenue around 6 a.m. and found smoke coming from a single story home when they arrived.
A man who lives at the home met crews as they arrived on the scene and told them the fire started in a utility room.
Crews located the fire in the utility room and brought it under control quickly, according to a fire department spokesman.
The man who lived at the house told firefighters that the smell of smoke woke him up, which allowed him to evacuate the home and call 911. The home did not have a working smoke detector, according to a fire department spokesman.
Fire investigators determined that the blaze was started by combustible materials being too close to a heater.
No injuries were reported.
A portion of Dominion Boulevard in Chesapeake is shut down as part of an emergency closure.
A horse that was reported missing in Elizabeth City has been found dead.
The Coast Guard medevaced two people off Hatteras Island Thursday morning following the closure of the Bonner Bridge.
The Hampton and Division of Fire and Rescue is offering safety tips to reduce the chance of a fire in your home this holiday season.
A woman will have to stay with family members after a fire at her townhouse in Chesapeake Thursday morning.
A 35-year-old Currituck County firefighter is under arrest after a recording device was discovered in the women's bunk at his station.
A Virginia Beach man will serve 15 years in prison for charges related to two armed bank robberies in 2011.