NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) - High readings of carbon monoxide were found inside a Norfolk hotel early Monday morning.
Capt. Mike Hicks with Norfolk Fire and Rescue said dispatchers received a call for a possible gas leak at the Tazewell Hotel on Granby Street. When fire crews arrived on scene, they found small levels of gas in the alley behind the building.
Fire crews went inside and found high readings of carbon monoxide in the basement of the hotel itself, Hicks said. Crews then moved up to the lobby area and continued to find readings of carbon monoxide.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue evacuated the Tazewell.
Battalion Chief Julian Williamson told WAVY.com on scene units were going floor to floor accounting for all residents and personnel. All utilities are being shut down with the exception of electricity.
Investigators believe to have the problem isolated to a heating unit in the basement.
No one was hurt.
Police arrested a man on charges of drunk in public and possession of marijuana Saturday.
A Virginia Beach pizza chain was robbed Sunday night.
The organizer of a 5K that never happened was sentenced to 30 days in jail for taking money from hopeful racers.
Airports in the Washington region are urging passengers to check on their flights before heading to the airports as some flights have been delayed or canceled because of winter weather.
Congressman Bobby Scott is traveling to South Africa to attend the memorial service for Nelson Mandela.
A Newport News mother was arrested on a charge of child neglect after her son was found alone Saturday, according to police.
A parade float caught fire at an Oceanfront parade on Dec. 7, 2013.