NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) - Heavy rain caused flooding across Hampton Roads Tuesday evening.
If you can safely send photos of flooding, email them to ReportIt@wavy.com.
More than 2,600 power outages were reported in southeast Virginia by Dominion Virginia Power as of 8 p.m.
The Midtown Tunnel was briefly closed Tuesday evening and had reopened at 8:15 p.m. An accident had backed up the Downtown Tunnel, but had cleared by 9 p.m.
City Line Apartments, some of which were condemned and evacuated last weekend for flooding, were all evacuated Tuesday due to flooding.
According to Mary Shackelford with the Hampton Police Division, the following roads are closed due to high standing water:
- Big Bethel Road and Todd Lane
- Portion of E. Pembroke Avenue, Woodland Road to Mercury Boulevard
- LaSalle Avenue to Queen Street at the intersection
- King St. and Interstate 64
- Queen Street and Patterson Avenue
- Todds Lane and Cunningham Drive - some disabled vehicles stuck in the water
- Powhatan Parkway and Interstate 664 - disabled vehicles stuck in the water
- Mercury Boulevard and Libbey Street
- 500 block of Celey Road
- Portions of Simple Farm Road
According to Diana Klink with the City of Suffolk, caution should be taken on the following roadways:
- Flooding in the 6900 block of Harborview Boulevard, passable – use extreme caution
- Flooding at Jonathans Way/ Ruby Court, passable – use extreme caution
- Flooding in the 800 block of W. Constance Road. There is a vehicle accident working at that location, no injuries. Street is closed in this area.
- The north and southbound lanes at North Main Street and Constance Road are currently shut down due to high water.
- 100 block of W. Washington Street, water covering sidewalk
- Flooding near the train trestle in the 1300 block of Holland Road
- Flooding at Second Avenue/West Constance Road
- High water on Godwin Boulevard/Kings Highway
- High water in the 2100 block of Holland Road
- The Kimberly Bridge at North Main Street is closed
- Road is closed at Pitchkettle and W. Constance Road.
Police say a 2-year-old and a 23-year-old Navy sailor based in Virginia were killed in a crash on Interstate 64 in southern Indiana near Corydon.
A pet adoption discount is helping animals in Hampton Roads find new homes.
Newport News police officers are in the middle of a massive operation to get wanted criminals out of the neighborhoods. They are rounding up everyone who has an outstanding warrant.
Hampton Roads Transit customers could see higher fares to ride the bus, light rail and ferry.
Running a red light could cost you a hefty fine, even if an officer doesn't pull you over. Cameras are going up at intersections across Hampton Roads, and the most recent went live Monday in downtown Norfolk.
Some local families who lost a loved one during active duty military service boarded a special flight out of Norfolk Thursday morning.
Thousands of EMTs and paramedics checked their bank accounts Thursday for one last scheduled payment from the company that suddenly laid them off, but found nothing.