HAMPTON, Va. (WAVY) - Fire crews battled a fire at a Hampton farmhouse Sunday morning.
According to Capt. Anthony Chittum with Hampton Fire and Rescue, firefighters were called to the 400 block of Rockwell Road around 10 a.m. for reports of a house fire. Crews arrived to find heavy smoke and fire coming through the home's roof.
The house was located on a small private road and crews had to lay 250 feet of hose from the main road because fire trucks could not gain access.
One person was in the house at the time and was able to get out unharmed. Chittum said the fire was brought under control in about an hour.
A firefighter was taken to the Sentara Careplex with possible heat exhaustion but is expected to fully recover.
The two-story farmhouse is a total loss. The two adults who live at the home will be staying with family and are insured.
Airports in the Washington region are urging passengers to check on their flights before heading to the airports as some flights have been delayed or canceled because of winter weather.
Congressman Bobby Scott is traveling to South Africa to attend the memorial service for Nelson Mandela.
A Newport News mother was arrested on a charge of child neglect after her son was found alone Saturday, according to police.
A parade float caught fire at an Oceanfront parade on Dec. 7, 2013.
Speaker Bill Howell will be in Chesapeake Monday to address the Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization.
It took fire crews about 10 minutes to get an electrical fire under control in Suffolk Sunday night.
A fire sparked in the laundry room of an apartment in Chesapeake late Sunday night.