VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - 10 On Your Side uncovered few cities in the Hampton Roads area have carbon monoxide detectors installed in schools.
The investigation came following growing national concerns after dozens of students were hospitalized when carbon monoxide was found at an Atlanta school. The school did not have carbon monoxide detectors.
WAVY.com contacted Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Norfolk, Newport News and Hampton school officials regarding the detectors.
Only Virginia Beach and Portsmouth officials confirmed they had detectors, but not in all schools. Information from Norfolk was not received by Tuesday evening.
The districts are not breaking any rules because there is no state law requiring those detectors - only Maryland and Connecticut mandate detectors in schools.
A Portsmouth Schools spokesperson told WAVY.com they do have detectors in boiler rooms with gas boilers and are currently training janitors to do weekly checks with new hand-held monitors while the district works on a plan to pay for permanent detectors.
Virginia Beach Schools have detectors in cafeterias and maintenance areas of some schools and have air quality detectors in newer buildings.
"I think the schools in Virginia beach are safe, although with the use of detectors it would make them much safer," Virginia Beach Fire Department's Tim Riley said.
The FBI is asking for the public's help to identify the suspects responsible for a string of bank robberies in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach.
One of two men accused of killing an off-duty Norfolk police officer in 2010 was denied bond Wednesday morning.
Newport News City Manager Jim Bourey has made a decision on the city's next police chief.
Tonya Bundick was denied bond as well as a change of venue after she was indicted on new charges related to the Eastern Shore arson case.
A Suffolk house fire displaced a family of seven Wednesday morning.
An Oscar Smith football player was named the 2013-2014 Gatorade National Football Player of the Year Wednesday.
A building at Norfolk State University has been evacuated due to a gas leak.