VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - Police say a man is wanted for breaking into 11 Virginia Beach businesses and stealing televisions, registers, cash and laptops.
According to Jimmy Barnes with the Virginia Beach Police Department, the incidents have occurred intermittently since January 13, 2013 and several similar incidents have occurred in Chesapeake as well.
Barnes said in each case, the suspect has used a rock or stone to break the glass front doors of the businesses to gain entry. The suspect has gotten away with cash, cash registers, laptops and big screen TVs, according to Barnes.
Police said the suspect has worn similar clothing in all of the incidents; a dark green coat, grey hoodie, beige cargo pants, tan boots and black gloves. He is described as a white man between the ages of 30 and 40, weighing between 180 and 230 pounds with short or balding hair.
Arthles Lynn, owner of Hawks Barbershop on Indian River Boulevard said his business was broken into by the serial burglar.
"I rolled up and saw glass everywhere," Lynn said. "I didn't go in. I didn't touch anything. I just called 91, looked over and saw they took my TV... snatched it right off the wall!"
The burglar appears to be targeting hair salons and barbershops along main roads.
"I don't know what time he came in Indian River Road is always kind of busy somebody saw something," Lynn added. "They've been seeing the same pattern with the same guy so they have an idea who it is. He is just going around breaking in folks stuff. They are going to catch him eventually."
No suspect vehicle was seen in any of the burglaries, Barnes said.
Barnes said the Virginia Beach businesses broken into by the suspect are the following:
- 977 Reon Dr., Reon Hair Studio, Sunday, 1/13/2013, front door broken
- 1913 Kempsville Rd., Signatures of Style, Thursday, 2/28/2013, front door broken
- 6549 College Park Square shopping center, Nail Image 2, Wednesday, 2/27/20132, front door broken
- 1832 Kempsville Rd., Super Cuts, Thursday, 2/28/2013, front door broken
- 977 Reon Dr., Creative Cuts & Styles, Saturday, 3/2/2013, front door broken
- 4001 Virginia Beach Blvd., Hair Magic, Sunday, 3/3/2013, front door broken
- 4421 Virginia Beach Blvd., Great Clips, Saturday, 3/2/2013, Sunday, front door broken
- 4001 Virginia Beach Blvd., Fant Shoe Repair, Saturday, 3/2/2013, front door broken
- 1064 Lynnhaven Parkway #108 Glamorous Styles Hair, Wednesday, 3/13/2013, front door broken
- 5564 Indian River Rd., Dentistry First, Friday, 3/15/2013, front door broken
- 6361 Indian River Rd., Hawks Barbershop, Sunday, 3/18/2013, front door broken
If you have any information about the suspect, contact Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
State officials say construction on a new Bonner Bridge has been delayed for years because of a legal battle with an environmental group.
Michelle Price with Newport News Public Schools told WAVY.com at least three city school buses ran substantially late Wednesday afternoon, delivering children home several hours after dismissal.
Plans to enhance a popular park in Smithfield are on hold. Some people say City Council is trying to commercialize a natural and historic treasure, and leave them out of the loop.
Drivers traveling between Hatteras Island and the mainland were forced to use an emergency ferry Wednesday, following the sudden closure of the Bonner Bridge Tuesday.
Hampton Fire units arrived at the scene of a residential fire in the 3800 block of Shell Road just after 6 p.m.
A police standoff at a Newport News home turned deadly Wednesday evening.
A Virginia Beach woman admitted to inappropriate sexual contact with teenage boys.