Updated: Monday, 18 Jun 2012, 7:19 AM EDT
Published : Monday, 18 Jun 2012, 7:19 AM EDT
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - Fire officials say an Alexandria woman was burned over 80 percent of her body by a flash fire that ignited when she was trying to light a recreational outdoor fireplace.
The 53-year-old woman was taken to the burn center at Washington Hospital Center. She suffered second- and third-degree burns.
The Alexandria Fire Department says the fire started when an accumulation of vapors near the fuel source ignited.
Opinions that are derogatory, attack other users or are offensive in nature may be removed. WAVY is not responsible for the content posted in this comment section. We reserve the right to remove any offensive or off-topic remark or thread. To mark a comment for review by a moderator, click "Flag as inappropriate."