Updated: Friday, 29 Jun 2012, 6:32 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 29 Jun 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - A two-year-old dog was killed by what Virginia Beach Police are calling antifreeze poisoning and are now searching for anyone responsible.
According to Tonya Borman with the Virginia Beach Police Department, animal control officers are investigating after the American Pit Bull Terrier was reportedly poisoned on June 6 in the 4800 block of Lake Bradford Lane.
The dog, Mirage, was said to have been showing symptoms of the poisoning when she returned from her fenced in yard.
A necropsy report confirmed Mirage ingested antifreeze, causing her to suffer acute renal failure, Borman said.
Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning within the first twelve hours are vomiting, increased water consumption, stumbling or wobbling, not eating or possible seizures. If it is not treated quickly, decreasing motor functions, paralysis, renal failure or death could occur.
Anyone who is causing the death of a companion animal by poisoning them can be charged with a class six felony, Borman added.
If you know any information about the death of Mirage, please call the Crime Line at 1-888-LOCK-U-UP.
Opinions that are derogatory, attack other users or are offensive in nature may be removed. WAVY is not responsible for the content posted in this comment section. We reserve the right to remove any offensive or off-topic remark or thread. To mark a comment for review by a moderator, click "Flag as inappropriate."